• Where's Mike???

    Mike should be HERE. Check in the undergraduate office, the lab, and the backroom graduate office. If he is not in any of those locations, he is probably in a meeting somewhere in the building. However, if the time is before 9am, after 5pm, or sometime on a weekend, Mike is probably not in the building. If you need something signed, or if you need something approved, or if you have questions about your project, and Mike for some reason has gone missing, ask Donna, Carolyn, your project supervisor, or any other member of the lab. If none of them can help you, you may email Mike. If the matter is extremely urgent, you may call his cell phone number.

  • Where's Professor Drake?

    Dr. Drake might be in his office. Then again, he might be at some super-secret conference that we can't tell you about. If you need to get in touch with him, you can send him an email; or if you need to talk to him ASAP, Mike can usually tell you where he is, and if he's not in the building you could give him a call. Most issues in the lab pertaining to safety, equipment, and undergraduate research can be solved by Mike.

  • Where is the Drake Lab? How do I get there?

    The Drake Lab can be found in room 1210 of the Space Research Building (SRB). The SRB is located at 2455 Hayward, near the corner of Hayward and Beal, across Hayward from the FXB (Francois-Xavier Bagnoud building) and across the intersection diagonally from G.G. Brown. If you see a sculpture that looks like a giant black squiggle, you should be able to see the SRB.

    From the front entrance, the Hayward entrance with all the steps, walk in the doors, take an immediate right, and look for 1210.

    From Bursley, walking: Go out the back entrance to the bus stop. At the bus stop, turn right and start walking along Hubbard. At the first intersection you come to, take a right onto Murfin, then take a left at the next street, which is Hayward. Continue walking along Hayward until you reach the SRB. Go in the front entrance.

    From North Campus, the Hill, Medical Campus, or Central Campus, busing: Catch the North Commuter (blue bus with North Commuter / To Glazier Way flashing on the sign) and get off at the FXB stop. The FXB stop is 2 stops past Pierpont. After passing Pierpont, or the Art and Architecture Building, the bus may or may not stop at Cooley Lab. It will then stop at a stop sign, then continue on a long curve with trees on the right and buildings and parking lots on the left. Pull the cord to signal your stop as the bus is going around this curve, get off at the FXB stop, and you'll be good. If you miss it, and see yourself passing the building and a bunch of parking lots, pull the cord, get off at the next stop, and just start walking back along Hayward.

    If you get lost, call Mike.

  • I've been told to call someone, but I don't know their number! What do I do?

    If you're in the lab, there should be a phone list posted somewhere with everyone's numbers on it.

    If you're not in the lab, or you can't find the list, click here for the phone list.

    If you can't access the above link, look at the top of this page and also look at the at-a-glance member directory. Contact information for most of the important people that you might have to call about something should be found in one of those places.

    If the person you need to call is associated with the University of Michigan, try looking them up in the UMich Directory.

    If none of the above options works for you, ask Mike.

  • When's the next shot date?

    Sometime in October, maybe?

  • OMG something terrible happened! What do I do?!?

    First, tell someone what's up. If someone's terribly injured, call 911. If there's a chemical hazard, call OSEH.

  • What's this OMEGA thing everyone's talking about?

    OMEGA is the laser at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics, or LLE, at the University of Rochester. OMEGA is the laser that the Drake Lab uses most frequently to shoot the targets they make.

  • What is laboratory astrophysics?

    Laboratory Astrophysics bridges the gap between theoretical astrophysical models and astronomical observations. Experiments are performed the use high-energy-density facilities to deposit kilojoules of energy into millimeter-scale volumes. This creates ionized, high-pressure systems and energy densities similar to those that occur in astrophysics. Access to these conditions allow for a wide range of experiments that simulate astrophysical processes.

  • What sort of experiments do you actually do?

    See the Projects page and the Experiments page for more information.

  • What are the applications of this research?

    Our research is applicable to many astrophysical systems. We collaborate with observational astronomers and theoretical astrophysicists in order to better understand the complex processes which occur in our universe. Also, our research is of interest to the Inertial Confinement Fusion community.

  • How is this research and this lab group funded?

    Our main funding comes from the Department of Energy, specifically the SSAA. More information can be found here.

  • What's Rayleigh-Taylor?

    The Rayleigh-Taylor instability is a hydrodynamic instability that develops at an interface between two fluids of different densities and occurs whenever denser fluid is accelerated against less dense fluid.

  • What's Kelvin-Helmholtz?

    The Kelvin-Helmholtz instability is an fluid instability that can occur when there is a velocity difference across an interface between two fluids.

  • Do I need any safety training?

    If you are a University of Michigan student currently enrolled in classes, then there is probably no required training. However, if you are working in the lab as a paid temporary employee, as a REU student, or over the summer, you will most likely be required to go through a 3-hour safety "training" session presented by OSEH.

  • What are the safety regulations for the lab?

    When you first come into the lab, Mike will walk you through everything you need to know. It's mostly common sense (no messing around, no dancing wildly, no setting things on fire, etc.), but there are a few things you should know.

    • Be careful of the UV light. Always make sure you're wearing UV-shielding glasses or goggles if you or someone else is using the UV light. If you are standing outside the clean room (and the UV light is being used inside the clean room), or outside of the lab, or with an opaque object between your eyes and the UV light, or with your eyes closed, that's fine too.
    • Be sure to wear long pants and closed-toe sturdy shoes that cover your feet when you're working in the lab.
    • If for any reason you feel unsafe, don't do whatever's making you feel unsafe. If ever you have a question about anything, feel free to ask. The first priority in this lab is your safety.
    • Don't take out your anger on the nitrogen tank. Bad things will happen.
    • Don't do anything that might scratch the beryllium.
    • If anything bad happens, get out of the lab, tell Mike, have someone call OSEH, and make sure everyone's okay.
  • What are all these acronyms?

    Acronym What The Acronym Means
    SPRL Space Physics Research Laboratory
    SNRT Supernova Rayleigh-Taylor
    RadGas Radiative Gas
    OSEH Occupational Safety and Environmental Health
    MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet
    Trogdor the printer for the Drake Lab Undergraduate Office
    KH Kelvin-Helmholtz
    DPP Department of Plasma Physics
    GTS Gated Thompson Scattering
    OLUG Omega Laser User Group
    CsI Cesium Iodide
    MCP Microchannel Plate
    IP Image Plate
    NIF National Ignition Facility
    TCC Target Chamber Center
    AOSS (Department of) Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Space Sciences
    LLE Laboratory for Laser Energetics
    Omega powerful, high-energy laser at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics at the University of Rochester
    Omega EP recent and more powerful addition to the Omega laser (EP = Extended Performance) that allows the system to perform short pulse laser shots
    Nike laser at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C.
    NRL (United States) Naval Research Laboratory
    HERCULES very fast, high-energy, high-intensity laser at the University of Michigan
    Livermore Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    CRASH Center for Radiative Shock Hydrodynamics
    HEDSA High Energy Density Science Association
    ICHED International Conference on High Energy Density Physics
    ICOPS International Conference on Plasma Science
    SOFE Symposium on Fusion Engineering
    AAS American Astronomical Society
    IFSA International Conference on Inertial Fusion Science Applications
    U of M
    The University of Michigan
    CoE College of Engineering
    CTools Course Tools: a website used by many classes and groups at U-M to share resources and discuss problems
    the Dude the Duderstadt Center [North Campus]
    the UGLi the (Shapiro) Undergraduate Library [Central Campus]
    SRB Space Research Building
    CAEN Computer-Aided Engineering Network: supports most UMich-owned computers and UMich-owned wireless networks on North Campus, as well as some CoE-owned computers on Central Campus
    ITCS Information Technology Central Services: supports most Umich-owned computers and UMich-owned wireless networks on Central Campus, as well as some non-CoE computers and wireless networks on North Campus
    FXB Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Center (the building across Hayward from the SRB); also refers to the bus stops nearby this building
  • Why is Forrest a hawk?

    At some point, this half-painted plastic hawk showed up in the undergraduate office, and while someone was going crazy with the label maker, someone labeled the hawk as "Forrest". Several jokes were made about how Forrest the hawk would replace Forrest the person, and ever since then Forrest has been synonymous with a hawk.